A BRIDLEWAY IS NOT JUST FOR HORSES, it is a multi-user track for walkers, dog walkers, runners, cyclists, horse riders.
Axholme Bridleways Association was founded in 2012 in response to the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000 which states that rights of way already in existence on 1 January 1949, but not shown on the definitive map and statement by 1 January 2026, will be extinguished.
Axholme Bridleways Association is committed to:
1. saving as many paths as possible.
2. raising awareness of the importance of having more safe off-road public rights of way for all users, plus better routes to encourage tourism onto the Isle.
3. ensuring that people can respectfully and harmoniously explore the beauty of the Isle of Axholme along designated, safe off road routes, and alongside others who also enjoy the countryside.
4. working in partnership to create an Axholme Greenway bridleway to link Isle villages via bridleway routes, using part of a Heritage Lottery Grant.
5. assist (when required and with the relevant permissions) in keeping routes clear and well maintained.
6. attend Local Access Forum meetings and liaise with North Lincolnshire Council on the subject of footpaths and bridleways in the area. (We are grateful to the British Horse Society for the support and wealth of knowledge about access and rights of way that affiliation has brought us).
7. organising fun family events to increase awareness of and raise funds for the group and also various charities. Since 2012 almost £1900 has been donated to charities including Lindsey Lodge Hospice, Lincs/Notts Air Ambulance, Bransby Horses and Macmillan Cancer Care.
The Association’s aim is to ensure that the Council’s definitive maps are up-to-date and accurate by the 2026 deadline enabling existing routes to be preserved and others upgraded/created where possible. You can help!
If you are passionate about walking, riding, cycling or running in our local countryside, then join us! There’s influence in numbers and your membership will make all the difference. An annual subscription of £5 per year brings you regular updates, plus fab ‘vouchers off’ for local businesses (under 18s membership is just £1 a year). Drop your details into the contact panel below and we will be in touch!
Please get in touch if you are able to help.
Events Team – x3